On August 13, 1896, The Burger Iron & Wire Works Company was founded by an ambitious entrepreneur, Joseph A. Burger. From a one-room factory in Akron, Ohio, the company began producing fire escapes, elevator cabs, decorative iron stairways, balconies, tree guards and iron fencing.
The industrial boom of the early 20th Century created a need for structural steel. The company began fabrication and erection of steel framing for commercial buildings and bridges. Over the years, Burger Iron was instrumental in constructing many of the structures throughout Ohio.
During the middle of the century, the market was evolving from cast steel to processed steel plate for mold work. In the 40’s, Burger Iron expanded its capabilities to include a plate processing department that offered precision grinding and machining. Because of it’s success, and to further capitalize on market opportunities, in 1972 the company opened a dedicated 90,000 sq. ft. steel plate processing plant in Mogadore, Ohio.
With continuing success in the plate business, and to more adequately service the tool and die, and plastic mold industries serving the automotive industry, in 1987 The Burger Iron Company opened its second steel plate facility in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
In 1997, an additional plate facility was opened in Spartanburg, South Carolina. This 30,000 sq. ft. plant services the expanding southern automotive market.
In 2001, BICO Michigan moved from its original Grand Rapids, Michigan location and built a new 60,000 sq. ft. facility for its expanding Michigan business.
Today, The Burger Iron Company consists of three subsidiaries known as the BICO Steel Service Centers.
More than 100 years of progress in the steel industry…over a century of investment and commitment to ensure uncompromising quality…ten decades of customer partnerships based on loyalty and trust. It’s a storied history that has served The Burger Iron Company well, and a solid foundation to build on in the 21st Century.